2 ADGA 2014 TOP TEN BREED LEADERS, VOL. 61
2 ADGA 2015 TOP TEN BREED LEADERS, VOL. 62
LICENSED GRADE A DAIRY & LOCALLY PRODUCED ARTISAN CHEESE
GODDARD FARM RASPBERRY, 3*M
WITH NEW BORN DOE KIDS MITZVAH AND OLALLIEBERRY
BORN JANUARY 29, 2009
PREPARATION FOR KIDDING - SUPPLIES
For ease of kidding the following items are useful:
1. Paper & pencil:
A. To write down kidding dates and times; a ball point or felt tip doesn’t work as well in cold weather.
B. To record order of birth, sex, color & markings of each kid and any unusual problems or occurrences.
2. Syringes & Needles:
A. A supply of 3cc, 12cc, 20cc, and 35cc syringes.
B. A supply of 19 gauge, 20 gauge, 22 gauge, and 18 gauge needles 1 inch long.
C. A supply of 18 gauge needles 1 & ½ inch long.
D. A 20cc syringe with a 3-inch clear vinyl tubing for feeding new borns Nutri-drench, Colostrum or milk.
E. A 20, 30, or 50cc Drenching Syringe [see attached picture].
3. A bottle of Goat Nutri-drench.
4. A pair of insulated coveralls and a washable jacket.
5. A large heavy cardboard box [4’x5’] to put the newborn kids in.
6. A heat lamp [with extra bulb] for cardboard box & sufficient electrical cord.
7. A bale of shavings for the new born cardboard box.
8. Lots of old towels and a reliable hair dryer for cleaning and drying kids in cold weather [with sufficient electrical cord]. Several rolls of paper towels.
9. Nasal Aspirator to suction mucus out of new born kid’s nose and throat to prevent lung Congestion (see picture below). Hint: squeeze all air our of aspirator before inserting it into the kid's mouth.
10. String to tie off umbilical cord [something tough like kite string is recommended].
11. Scissors to cut string & umbilical cord after cord is tied.
12. Strong Iodine 7% in pump bottle to spray kid’s naval after cord is tied and cut [less possibility for contamination with spray pump than dipping].
13. Antibacterial soap in pump bottle to wash hands [warm water in sink] and new roll of paper towels. Be sure to use pumps in all dispensables like Iodine and antibacterial soap to minimize contamination.
14. Vinyl exam gloves & Sterile Lubricant in case you have to reach inside the doe to examine her or to assist with the birthing process.
15. A stack of paper feed sacks cut half way down with a “flap” to wrap the afterbirth for disposal so second and subsequent kids won’t land in the first kid’s mess.
16. Old washcloths and small plastic bucket of warm soapy water to clean doe’s udder after she kids. Doe’s rear area & tail should have been clipped in advance of kidding.
17. Oster A-5 clippers with 15 or 30 blade to clip rear udder and tail area prior to kidding.
18. 100mg. Tetracycline to infuse doe after kidding, especially if you had to enter the doe to assist in the kidding process.
19. A 20-ounce plastic pop bottle with black rubber nipple & 18 gauge by 1 & 1/2” needle for air vent [to prevent bottle collapse] to feed colostrum to new born kids [see picture below].
20. Feed grade molasses to mix with warm water for the doe after she gives birth. A handful of raisins or roasted peanuts to reward the doe for a job well done. We use peanuts in the hull.
21. A thermometer. For whatever problems that may arise. The doe cannot tell you anything, you have to sort it out. Determining the goat’s temperature is a crucial first step if the doe is sick. A stethoscope is also useful.
22. A Scale and sling to weigh the new born kids.
23. A Digital Camera to take pictures of new born kids.
24. Wormer. We worm pregnant does 1 week before kidding.
25. Give Mastitis boosters [J-5 and Lysigin] at or before kidding.
26. Caution: Make sure the doe’s water bucket in the birthing room is high enough off the floor so new born kids won’t fall in and drown.
CLOSE UP PICTURE OF SINK, WITH HOT AND COLD WATER, AND COUNTER TOP IN NURSERY WITH ITEMS IN PREPARATION FOR KIDDING, NUTRA DRENCH, PAPER TOWELS, SUCTION BULB, KITE STRING TO TIE UMBILICAL CORDS, SURGICAL SISORS, IODINE, ALCOHOL, OLD TURKISH TOWELS, HAIR DRYER, BANAMINE, OXYTOCIN, NIPPLES FOR BABY BOTTLES, BOX OF 3CC SYRINGES, BOX OF 20 GA. NEEDLES, FELT TIP & 3x5 CARDS TO RECORD ORDER OF BIRTH AND ANY UNUSUAL OCCURRENCES, AND PUMP DISPENSOR OF DIAL ANTIBACTERIAL SOAP.
GODDARD FARM GRADE A GOAT DAIRY AND ARTISAN CHEESE PLANT, LLC
Kansas State Dairy Manufacturing Lcense # 413
PUREBRED NUBIAN DAIRY GOATS
Copyright 2009 - 2017, All rights reserved. No copies can be made without written permission.
Last Update Tuesday, 04-25-2017
Web Hosting by Yahoo